Wednesday, March 14, 2007

still waters run deep

This morning I finished Russell Banks' novel Cloudsplitter, which I picked up after reading Gilead, by Marilynne Robinson. Both books deal with the "Kansas wars" of the pre-civil war era, with the figure of John Brown looming large.

As a recent immigrant to the Midwest, I had always underestimated this area. This is a place where the people are nice, sure, but not very interesting, right? And this is a place where not much has ever happened, as far as I had heard. The very definition of "flyover country" to jet-setters from the coasts.

Yet these books tell another story. While Gilead has characters who share this unsymphathetic view of the Midwest (a boring place to leave as quickly as possible), the total picture from the books is one of a region that formerly spilled over with violent struggle and moral courage. These were the first battlegrounds of the fight to free the slaves.

And today's solid, stubborn, self-denying residents of the region (the people that Garrison Keillor makes fun of all the time) turn out to be the descendents of moral heroes whose same traits were essential in changing this country. And people don't know the history of it. Not even the residents know their history.

In my previous home state, Texas, school children are required to study the history of the state, often in ugly self-serving anti-revisionist versions of history that celebrate the smug capitalist white folks who greedily broke the terms of their contracts to get better land deals, while demonizing or ignoring the native population, the people and government of Mexico (which was OUR history--just ask "Six Flags") and African-Americans.

Meanwhile, the people I asked about local history around here seemed to buy the consensus of the world that nothing much had ever happened here.

I had already come to respect the creativity, intelligence, and general kindness of the people here. But now, as I learn the historical significance for our country's greatest moral struggle in its history, I see just how interesting a place I have come to live.

Somebody pinch me. I never thought I would find this region interesting.

Today for lunch I had two KFC Snackers: one original (with great gobs of remarkably peppery and vinegary dressing) and one with cheese sauce. It was yummy, but I wish I had gotten a side instead of one of the sandwiches. I ate light because I had a late and huge breakfast, many snacks at work, and was anticipating an early supper. Not a bad lunch for $2.18.

5 comments:

MoSup said...

For another great Midwestern (sort of) read, I'd recommend "Copper, Iron, Timber, and Heart." But I'm incredibly biased.

Have you ever heard about the debates of what constitutes "Midwest"? It's pretty interesting. Particularly, there are many people in states like Missouri who are greatly troubled when Great Lakes states are referred to as "Midwest." And some disagree that Kentucky is Midwestern, but it's often referred to that way.

For breakfast today I had a bowl of Strawberries and Cream Quaker Oatmeal and a cup of fair trade coffee.

sid said...

That book doesn't seem to be at my local library. I added it to my Amazon.com wish list, so maybe I'll get it as a present someday.

I would have guessed Kentucky was "Mid-South" which I heard when I was in Tennessee. Don't even ask people what constitutes "New England." Yankees get really testy.

Do you think of your state of residence as "Midwest"? What other options are there? Just "Great Lakes"?

Texas was always (oddly) called "Southwest" which served to distinguish it from the true South, but made it sound too close to California to be plausible for me. Maybe West Texas is "Southwest" but central Texas needs its own category. Maybe we could connect somehow with Louisiana and Arkansas. But not Oklahoma. Please not Oklahoma.

Lunch today was with a colleague group at the Rib Crib. I had a Bar-B-Rito with pulled pork, which is a burrito with slightly different sauce than usual. And a nice melt-in-your-mouth mint. And lots of water and iced tea.

I accidentally stole the water that was intended for a colleague, but they replaced her beverage quickly. I just drank from both cups from then on, with lots of refills. I also gave my tablemates way too much advice on navigating the menu.

MoSup said...

Well, I actually don't consider where I reside to be a "state" at all. ;)

And, as for Texas, you know, "it's like a whole other country." You don't know how happy it made me that the Texas travel bureau knew grammar well enough not to say "it's like a whole nother country." Such a pet peeve of mine!

For lunch today I ate an egg, toast, and coffee. I'm recovering from scoping. Yuck.

MoSup said...

You seriously need to update your blog! I check it nearly daily and you haven't updated in a month! I gave you a pass during the whole Holy Week/Easter thing, but it's doubting Thomas time now!

For lunch I had a chicken and cheese sandwich, two baby carrots, and Orange Crush pop.

sid said...

Truly, it has been too long. I will post soon. Tonight, it is too late.

Lunch today was a Culver's snack: Butterburger with the Works (paying extra for tomato and mayo!), small fry and suicide soft drink (Diet Pepsi, Diet Mountain Dew, and red Hawaiian Punch). With mooched extras from my son's chicken strips and my wife's Concrete Mixer.